Twinings Pure Peppermint Herbal Tea is a light, refreshing, and pleasant-tasting herbal tea product, that they package with great care and attention to preserving the minty peppermint flavor. It’s a wonderful, caffeine free tea, served either hot or cold. It truly is pure peppermint, as premium-grown peppermint is the only ingredient within. When steeped according to instructions, you get a light amber to orange colored drink along with an easily recognized, but by no means overpowering peppermint aroma, that never tastes bitter; even if you forget and leave the back in the cup too long.
Most Twinings teas including this pure peppermint offering, can be found at stores both brick-and-mortar and online, are reasonably priced, and because each bag is individually protected against moisture and light in an easily removed foil wrapper, this Twinings peppermint tea selection retains its signature flavor for over two years in storage.
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- Each tea bag is individually wrapped for freshness; so tightly in fact, that very little peppermint aroma appears until you trim away this pouch just before steeping. This opaque wrap also protects the tea from light, which helps preserves the peppermint taste.
- A “best before date,” is stamped on the box, and was dated over two years out.
- This all-natural drink is easy to find in most larger grocery stores and tea shops.
- Gluten free.
- This product can keep for at least two years in a cool place without appreciable flavor losses or changes.
- The taste of this tea closely resembles other pure peppermint teas. However, the peppermint leaves herein appear to be of premium grade.
- No caffeine, naturally. So, this is a helpful beverage for those sensitive to caffeine and stimulants.
- Twinings chose all natural ingredients (peppermint only) for this zero-calorie product.
- Reasonably priced, especially given that this peppermint tea comes from Europe. Here in North America, its price is pretty close to similar but domestically produced teas.
- Since peppermint teas like this one tend to be lighter in color, they seem to stain the teeth less than coffee or black tea beverages.
- Great for diabetics as this product contains zero net carbs, like most other herbal teas, and may suppress appetite and satisfy sweet-tooth cravings at times.
- The box has re-closable lid on the top, and made of a sturdy paperboard. Some of the artwork is raised, and so, can be felt as well as seen.
Disadvantages, Cons, and Problems
- Watch out when sweetening with maple syrup, molasses, or honey, as this can completely mask the peppermint flavor. Stevia or Truvia however, sweeten this tea effectively, without eradicating the mint taste.
- At approximately $2.70 for 20 tea bags, the cost per serving is a little greater per serving than some other similar products. But as noted above, the cost difference is barely noticeable, and probably justifiable, especially given the high quality of this product.
Fresh, cold, filtered water is best to start with here, although cold tap water, drawn directly from the tap, still produces a decent flavor.
- In either case though, bring the water to a full, rolling boil.
- Remove one tea bag from its foil wrapper, and place in your favorite cup or mug.
- Pour the boiling water into the cup, over the tea bag, and fill to top.
- All bag to steep for three to five minutes.
- Remove the teabag from the cup.
- Avoid squeezing it out however. As tempting as squeezing is, to get every last bit of peppermint flavor from the bag, do not do this. Squeezing can add undesired bitter flavors, that can ruin the fresh flavor for which pure peppermint is known far and wide.
For iced mint tea, follow the above instructions. But allow to steep a minute or two longer, and then pour the tea over ice, in a tall glass. If you want to make a quart of iced peppermint tea, use four teabags with 32 ounces of boiling water. Allow to cool, and then poor over ice.
The authors highly recommend this Twinings herbal tea Product, and would ate this tea at 99 out of 100. It’s really good, and since it contains absolutely no caffeine, you can drink until your heart’s content, as often as you like. Peppermint is one of the most flavorful yet innocuous herbs. There’s little that’s more fit for human consumption than pure peppermint.
Where To Buy Twinings Pure Peppermint Herbal Tea
Look for this tea product in the pale green box with black and dark green lettering and the tear-off strip on the top, at larger grocery stores and online vendors. The local Walmart carries many Twinings tea products.
- Twinings web site
- Caffeine on Wikipedia
- Peppermint on Wikipedia
- Where to Buy Twinings Pure Peppermint Herbal Tea
- 2015-09-26: Added tags.
- 2014-11-25: Added whitespace and repositioned ads.
- 2014-09-12: Added picture.