Bigelow Peppermint Herbal Tea is a brisk, refreshing, and pleasant-tasting minty herbal tea product, packaged with passionate attention to creating and preserving the cool peppermint flavor. It’s a naturally caffeine free tea, and can be enjoyed either hot or cold. It truly is pure peppermint, as peppermint is the only ingredient within. When steeped according to the recipe below, you get a light amber to orange colored drink along with an easily recognized, but by no means overwhelming peppermint scent, that never tastes bitter; even if you steep the teabag too long.
Benefits, Pros, Features, and Advantages
- A “best enjoyed by,” date is stamped on the box, and was dated over two and a half years out from the date we bought this tea. Experience shows that this tea, wrapped as it is, keeps very well for several years.
- It’s gluten free as well as naturally caffeine free, and contains all natural ingredients.
- Great for diabetics as this product contains zero net carbs, like most other herbal teas, and may suppress appetite and satisfy sweet-tooth cravings at times.
- Each tea bag is individually wrapped for freshness; so tightly, that absolutely no peppermint aroma appears until you tear open the pouch, just before steeping. This opaque wrap also protects the tea from light, air, and moisture, which helps preserve the classic peppermint taste, for virtually an indefinite period.
- The box includes a, “caff-o-meter,” a visual depiction of a comparison between this peppermint tea product and other favorites including coffee, black tea, green tea, and decaffeinated tea. This one, being that it’s herbal, has the least caffeine of all. In fact, it has none.
- Easily purchased at most larger grocery stores and tea shops. Even the smaller outlets carry the more popular Bigelow brands like this one.
- The taste of this tea closely resembles other pure peppermint teas. But it generally costs less, since it’s manufactured right here in the United States.
- Less teeth staining, owing to the lighter color of this peppermint tea drink.
- The box has re-closable lid on the top, and made of a sturdy paperboard. Some of the artwork is raised, and so, can be felt as well as seen.
Disadvantages, Cons, and Problems
- The peppermint flavor can be quickly destroyed or masked if too much of the wrong sweeteners are used. Avoid sweetening this with maple syrup, honey, or molasses, as these flavor not-so-neutral sweeteners can clash with the peppermint essence.
- At approximately $2.12 for 20 tea bags, the cost per serving is on par per serving, along with other similar products.
- If you’re looking for a caffeine fix, you won’t get it from this herbal tea.
Fresh, cold, filtered water is best to start with here, although cold water, drawn directly from the tap, still produces an awesome flavor.
- In either case though, bring the water to a full, rolling boil.
- Remove one tea bag from its foil wrapper, and place in your favorite cup or mug.
- Pour the boiling water into the cup, over the tea bag, and fill to top.
- All bag to steep for two to four minutes.
- Remove the teabag from the cup.
- Avoid squeezing it out however.
For iced peppermint tea, follow the above directions. But allow to steep a minute or two longer, and then pour the tea over ice, in a tall glass. If you want to make a quart of iced peppermint tea, use three or four teabags with 32 ounces of boiling water. Steep the bags in this water as above. Allow to cool, and then poor the tea over ice.
We highly recommend this tea for those looking for a simple-tasting yet thirst-quenching drink, and would therefore rate this tea at 98 out of 100. You can drink as much of this as you like, without fears of developing the caffeine jitters or nausea.
Where To Buy Bigelow Peppermint Herbal Tea
Look for this tea product in the multi-shade blue box with white and gold lettering and the re closable lid on the top, at larger grocery stores and web sites. The local Walmart sells numerous Bigelow tea products including this one.
- Bigelow web site
- Caffeine on Wikipedia
- Peppermint on Wikipedia
- Where to Buy Bigelow Peppermint Herbal Tea
- 2015-09-26: Added tags.
- 2014-12-01: Added pictures.
- 2014-11-25: Added whitespace and adjusted ad locations on page.
- 2014-09-02: Extended References section.