We’ve drank many hundreds of cups of Bigelow Mint Medley Tea (catalog # 00073) over the past one-plus decades. This doublemint herbal tea, a strongly-flavored duo of spearmint and peppermint leaves, is among the mintiest natural teas we’ve ever tasted. It’s color in the cup is a medium to light orange, perhaps owing to the absence of any really dark teas within (such as black tea), and it offers no bitterness once sweetened. Many Bigelow teas including this Mint Medley one, are easy to spot in stores, cost approximately the same, and because each bag is individually sealed with a thick wrapper, this tea retains its signature, minty flavor for indefinite periods in the pantry.
Benefits, Pros, Features, and Advantages
- Widely sold. Mint Medley tea is sold at practically any larger grocery store. So it’s typically not hard to find.
- Individually packaged teabags. Each tea bag is individually wrapped for freshness; so completely in fact, that no minty scent touches your nose until you tear away this enclosing pouch before steeping. This opaque wrap also protects the dried mint leaves inside from light, which further preserves the spearmint-peppermint combo taste.
- Forever freshness. We’ve kept this product for years in cool places without appreciable flavor reduction or other noticeable deterioration.
- Brisk, pronounced mint flavor. The taste of this tea, well-approximates other mint-flavored teas, but is a bit stronger, as the only leaves it contains are spearmint and peppermint leaves. No black tea or any other ingredient is present to dilute the mint taste. This is what makes this unique flavor, signature.
- Bitter-free. This tea has no bitterness once sweetened.
- Freshens breath. Lots of mouth washes, tooth pastes, and mint candies rely on spearmint and peppermint medley as their prime ingredients for clearing up stale breath. This mint tea does the same job, but all naturally, without artificial flavors and mint imitation chemicals. In this tea, you can taste the flavor that all those man-made breath aids try to imitate.
- No caffeine. Unlike Bigelow’s Plantation Mint tea flavor, Mint Medley is caffeine-free. Not decaffeinated mind you, but caffeine free (never contained caffeine to begin with). So while we don’t usually drink it in the morning to clear the cobwebs of sleep upon waking, we switch over to it in the late afternoons and evenings, for better sleep during the following night.
- Excellent cold or hot. Mint Medley’s spearmint and peppermint flavors make for a delicious-tasting tea hot or cold. It’s hard to say which of these more dominates the flavor. It tastes like there are roughly equal amounts of both mints in this products.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- Honey can destroy delicate mint taste. Avoid sweetening with honey or maple syrup, as this destroys the mint flavor. Stevia or Truvia however, sweeten this tea very well, without eradicating the dual-mint taste.
- A little expensive. At $2.32 for 20 tea bags, Bigelow Mint Medley Tea is a bit higher-priced per serving than some other similar products. They should sell this in bulk, to cut the price.
- Moderate to mild tooth staining. Your teeth can stain somewhat, due to tea consumption. However, the potential health benefits of most any herbal tea are worth the modest extra hardship of more frequent teeth cleaning.
- Wish list. We’d love to find a Bigelow pure spearmint tea product; one that does not contain the caffeine that black tea has. A tea with none but spearmint leaves in it would taste strongly like spearmint but be caffeine-free, just as ths Mint Medley tea is.
So, with all that said, the authors highly recommend Bigelow Mint Medley Tea, because it tastes great, and has no caffeine. So we’d rate this tea at 99 out of 100.
Where To Buy Bigelow Mint Medley Herb Tea
Look for this excellent herbal tea product in the bright green and white box with the tear-off strip on the top, at larger grocery stores.
- Bigelow Web Page for Mint Medley Tea
- Caffeine on Wikipedia
- Peppermint Tea on Wikipedia
- Spearmint on Wikipedia
- Where to buy Bigelow Mint Medley Tea
- : Tweaked content.
- 2014-12-01: Added picture and whitespace, adjusted ad placement, and updated content.
- 2014-09-04: Updated References section links.